Three prominent business men, Alvin Ellis Cruze (1882-1951), John Monroe Depew (1878-1957), and Doctor Washburn Brooks (1880-1959) saw a need for a new cemetery in Maryville, Tennessee that would be maintained through a perpetual care fund. The idea and promotion of the new cemetery was to get Maryville and Blount County away from the old graveyard system, which was reported to be neglectful and forgetting of the graves of the dead at times. As neighbors who all at one time lived on High Street in Maryville, each of these men drew upon their own experiences and gifts to organize the founding of Grandview Cemetery. Mr. Cruze, the cashier of the Bank of Blount County and local insurance agent, was known for his sense of humor and his ability to tell stories. Mr. Depew, employed by the Southern Coffin and Casket Company as a youth, worked in Blount County for most of his life as the owner and operator of Depew Feed Company, and later for Maryville Grocery Company. Mr. Brooks was one of the founders and general manager of Maryville Grocery Company. The original charter to form Grand View Cemetery Company was granted by the State of Tennessee on April 5, 1922.
Address2304 Tuckaleechee Pike